Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The election...

and to remember the depressing part of this election -

AZ - ban on gay marriage added to constitution.

Arkansas - Ban on Gay Couples Adopting Children

CA - prop 8 is winning right now... and 50/50 on an abortion prop...

FL - 62% ban gay marriage


yes, this is a momentous election, a time where discrimination has been overcome... yet while we are moving post race in so many ways, and it is never ok to be a racist, since the battles were fought a generation ago and the wounds are beginning to heal, smaller in the world view of my generation... this hate and discrimination against gays is so strong, so ugly, so public, and so terrible, it taints this historic moment of hope and optimism with a darkness that we avert our eyes from... this is insanity. this is where we now need to realize change, now, and I hope that we will face it sooner rather than later.

My friend Megan wrote this on her facebook. I love the thought and I agree with it! It breaks my heart that there is still so much hate in our country. I fear the world that my son will grow up in. I refuse to see these injustices and not acknowledge them for the hate filled ideologies that they are. I will do my part to make change, and I will pray that Obama can replace members of the Supreme Court in time for the appeals to reach a less biased court.

I am sad that I have offended so many of my family and friends... I am sorry for the pain that my thoughts have caused them, but please realize I will not change my beliefs. I now have a son to worry about, and it is more important for me that he grows up in a country seeing all people as his equals, than placating my family and friends and any biases they may have. I will set an example for him... I will teach him how very important it is to stand up for what you believe in no matter the cost. My father in-law told Micah to "Always stand up for what's right". That deep down he knew what was right, and that he should always stand up for it. This is the example that I hope to demonstrate to my children.


Mason on election day wearing the appropriate color blue!

No comments: