Monday, September 26, 2011

"Here it goes again"

The kids and I woke up this morning to a chill in the house... summer in Oregon is over.  It went so quickly, and it was so late getting here, that I feel cheated! 
I don't long for the hot weather, being the well rounded person that I am, heat and I aren't dear friends.  I do hate to lose all the beautiful sun shine, and I will miss the dry green of summer.
Its Oregon, we tend to be green year round, but the winter green is squishy, mossy, and muddy.
Along with the season change comes the a new school year, today is my first day back on campus, I am so nervous and anxious to get through this term.  I was up all night with Micah, he was working and I was trying to distract myself with some On Demand (I heart SUITS).  I've never worried so much about a new term, but this term I will be repeating Anatomy and Physiology 231 (its the first in a series of 3) I passed it in  the spring, but the C I fought so hard to get did not feel like a job well done.
Lets be honest, I was a terrible student in High School, and an even worse college student before I got married.  When Mic and I married and he convinced me I could do school and that I was smart enough, I chose hair (I don't regret it at all) and I am pretty darn good at it.  (especially now that I get so much practice) 
Doing hair speaks to my soul, I love just about every aspect of my field, but I especially love being with people and having so many different kinds of people to interact with.  I am so excited to go to work everyday because my day will never be the same... I never know who I will meet or how they will change my perspective on life.
The one bad thing about hair is that financially if something happened to Mic I could not take care of my family on what I make doing hair.  I worry about providing for my children if the worst happens (I swear I'm not planning a hostile take over).  
So I took sometime and examined what I like most about doing hair, the people.  Then I looked at the fields that are going to be in the highest demand over the next decade (health care, duh)... its easy to see why nursing would be another career that I would be completely content doing. 
Unfortunately, getting into the program will take nothing less than an act of the gods. Its a goal, I constantly plug away at, and hopefully this term will go smoothly (like a hot knife through butter)
So I have anxiety over all the things that don't matter right this second and I cry (a lot) and then I buckle down and get it done (hopefully). 

Wish me luck!  (I feel like playing a little OK GO)

2 comments:

megs said...

You are phenomenal. It doesn't matter when you started trying, but that you started having faith in yourself and started trying. And I absolutely love that you're not accepting C's, that you're working toward a goal and that it is a journey that you are willing to push so hard toward. I have a million motivational slogans to look to (literally, you've seen my pinterest), but seeing your determination makes me want to push harder, and fight and work to be proud of what I do each day. You're such a sweet lovey mom, and I'm so happy you have a husband who had faith in you when you did not, and I love that you are working toward a goal with a real, concrete outcome. Good luck M, and know that I am always 100% rooting for you.

Julia Wojnar said...

Hey Mellie,
Just read this post and letting you know as a fellow college student, I know how tough it is to feel like you can do it and to get through those tough classes. School gets me so stressed out and there are definately times that it makes me cry a lot too! But don't worry, I know you can do it and showing the boys how hard you work to provide for them has got to make them proud. You go girl!!